If your cat eats a grape you need to watch it’s behavior. Depending on the cat, eating a small amount of grapes can be ok, as the cats body might be able to handle the toxicity.
If your cat displays any of these signs after eating a grape, you should take it to the vet ASAP:
- Lack of appetite
- Decreased urination
- Abdominal pain
If your cat has eaten a lot of grapes, do not wait, and take it to the vet asap. The vet can help empty the cats stomach by inducing vomiting, and/or treating your cat with charcoal. It is important to treat the cat before the toxins have had a chance to enter your cats blood stream.
If the cat is examined by a vet within two hours, the cat can usually be helped. If too much time passes the vet will need to provide intravenous fluids.
Make sure your home is safe by putting grapes in a spot your cat cannot get to.
Luckely for this cat’s owner’s it was smart enough not to eat the grape.